Monday, January 26, 2009

When I Came To The Conclusion I No Longer Can Handle My Employment

I recently started asking myself a few questions when I found I no longer enjoyed my job. I thought to myself why would I bother doing something that I don't enjoy at my age? It's just not worth it to pursue a cearrer you don't enjoy, and I think I need a new path. That just leads to more questions like what job would I like.


My primary question to myself was why I even work at all. The picture I always have in my head when I'm slaving away is the thought of my kids gather happily around the {christmas wreath}. I know that's what keeps me going. The business world is not a gentle nice place, nor is it fun, and when I start to think of it as a means to a bi-weekly check then I come to the conclusion that it just isn’t worthwhile.


Next I thought about activities I enjoy. Running is fun. I don't think being a runner is exactly bread into me at 5 foot 7 inches. Starting at my age also doesn't seem like a great idea. Something else I like is helping with my daughters softball team. Maybe I could be a teacher. I actually probably would like that, but the idea of going back to school for two more years, at my age, just doesn't seem worth it.


No I guess when I really think about it I'm stuck in my job for a few more years. I'm close enough to retirement that I can taste it. My jobs not that bad anyway. It's working my way up the corporate ladder that bothers me. That's  it, I'll just stop playing! I'll just stop working so hard. Stop bringing work home with me, and stop checking my email before bed. My boss can't can me. My severance package alone would take me past my planned retirement.
Maybe this year I'll just slack off, hang a decorated christmas wreath with the kids, and make some real memories. Well there that alone gives me a year to look forward to. A merry Christmas, and a new years resolution to do less work. That's one I may actually keep.

No comments: